Simple IPv6 detector widget for WordPress to promote IPv6. It provides:
- Detect if user is using IPv6.
- Keep statistics about v4 and v6 hits.
- Link to a whois service.
- Widget admin to change messages, reset stats and change whois url.
It was born because of my own blog. I needed to include a little box that shows users ip and different messages depending on the ip version.
The idea behind this is to promote and leave a way to discover and make sense about the ipv4 address space limits.
It's supossed that your blog is running on a host that supports networking with dual stack mode, so your blog is visible both to IPv4 and IPv6 world.
It's not a must. The plugin will work good with IPv4 and/or IPv6.
- June 27 2011: Bugfix with the "sticky url" for the whois service 😉
- June 20 2011: There is a sort of "port" of this plugin as a Joomla extension. The same name and code as version 1.0, but without copyleft. ¬¬.
- June 14th 2011: New release, v1.1 includes few stats about web hits made through v6 or v4.